[AT] OT Vulcanzing Rubber?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Wed Apr 16 19:16:11 PDT 2008

    Will
    Vulcanizing requires pressure and heat, typically 325 to 350 degrees
depending on the compoung. You will need to start with green gum rubber and
a compatible cement. Make a mold as George suggested and coat with talcum
powder to prevent sticking.
    Gum rubber comes in various thicknesses from about 1/8" to maybe 3/8" or
so. If you want to reinforce it, you can put plies of rayon or nylon cloth
between the layers before forming it to the mold. Mylar sheet works good for
working it into the mold as it won't stick.
    With it all set up, apply pressure on the steel plate and heat
throughout for about 1/2 hour. Then remove the heat and allow to cool before
removing fom the mold.

            Good luck with it...... Gene