[Steam-engine] Update

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Apr 11 07:46:57 PDT 2008

Howdy all;
  Well it's been a fairly mild winter here in the Big Sky, so thought I'd
let you all know how it's going on our stationary.  The Wachs had the
preverbial .010 knock in it..so off came the crank and rod and we took it
over to the Crank Doc in Missoula who did a great job for 130 rockets as he
flux welded the throw, ground it and the radius' and then polished.  He then
machined the rod bronze insert.  It's all back together now, and friend
Corky is redoing the boiler door latch and hinges and I'm re-piping the
cylinder drains.  We're also looking for a smaller flywheel/belt pulley as
ours has been brazed and don't feel comfortable with running it.  The other
one is fine, but does have an annoying wobble.

  Now Charlie..I know you have a fairly tall stack and so do we ~8 feet to
the top.  I feel we have too much draft and would like some suggestions how
how to reduce or throttle it.  I don't know if a 10" damper is available..we
could always build one.  We do have the exhaust piped to the stak for show
and tell and the great chuff but are considering an exhaust head such as
Francis does.  Our engine does have dual exhaust outlets so It would be a
fairly simple piping job....if we ever find a head.  I should mention we
only fire with wood..no coal close.

  Friend Corky and I are almost finished with modern day 3rd Class, High
pressure boiler school put on by our local chief..then we can take the state
test.  This is required by Montana Law.  We also plan on attending Rollag
steam school, Father's Day weekend and stay over for the Mn. state traction
test on Monday.  Hopefully by the end of summer, we will have our Mt.
stationary and traction license'.  That would be the ultimate fer sure.

  I should also mention that on re-assembly, we have no "lead" on our
engine.  Will go with that for now and load this baby down this summer for
the first time.

  Hopefully some of you will jumpstart this list and let us know how your
last 6 months went..be it summer or winter.

Life is Good,
Best Regards,
RickinMt.