[AT] Satellite Tracking was Warning and apology.

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Apr 4 16:43:42 PDT 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008 12:41:04 Cecil Bearden wrote:
> the url for the equipment site is www.findmespot.com
>
> I think I will order one since I am surveying by myself in remote
> areas.  The $7.95 per year for $100K of rescue expenses is a real
> bargain.  If I spent the extra $49 for the tracking someone could figure
> out where I was if I was hurt and could not send the message....
>
> Thanks for posting this whoever started it
>
> This could be a real lifesaver to one of us...

Could be, and worth thinking about for that reason.  Don't forget that only
one person in a group needs it.  If you have friends (children/grandchildren)
going to a remote area borrow it to them just in case.  Anyone in the group
gets seriously hurt, they push the button and help comes.   Make sure they
know that if they push the button and nobody is seriously hurt you will be
mad.   Just because you have a device that can get you out isn't an excuse to
either be stupid or not pay attention to your location.

I'm not sure about the rescue expenses insurance though.   I think you are
better off with a more general policy that covers more.   Your insurance
agent may already have you covered (or perhaps your medical).   Or maybe not,
it is worth asking.   If you don't have it, the community is likely to hold a
fund raiser for you should you need it.   Not that I'm against it, just that
I'm not sure it is the bargin you think it is.   Read the fine print, but I
suspect it only covers search and rescue expenses, so if you brake your legs
(or have a heart attack) in your pasture it may not cover because you are not
lost - and this is much more likely situation where you would need help.
That $7.95/year is no bargin if it only covers situations that you will never
be in, but it is a bargin if it covers situations that could happen.

While I'm on the subject I'd like to remind you that if it wasn't for idiots
going into the back country with no supplies nor survival skills, the search
and rescue teams would have to pay someone to "get lost" out there so they
can practice.    Several don't charge more than expenses (waived if you can't
pay) just because they need the practice.