[AT] Diamonds in the rough?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Sep 21 10:36:39 PDT 2007

H. L. Staples wrote:

> The three point MF backhoe arrangement is not nearly as strong as the Case
> frame mounted unit.
I agree, although the MF backhoe is actually mounted to the loader
frame, not the three point. There are two lower arms than come back from
the loader frame and two upper arms that are hinged and have very long
bolts that secure the two to the four mounting pins on the backhoe. I
would say that the MF might be good for maintaining ditches but not any
kind of serious digging in hard soil.

> Looks can be deceiving but the Case appears to be the
> best bet. If the lady turned down $500.00 for the MF, no telling what it
> would take to make the purchase.
Yes, the Case looks a little ratty, but it is almost all there, and is
definitely a "construction" machine, not an ag/utility tractor with a
backhoe stuck on it. I didn't mention that the tach and whatever gauge
was next to it are completely missing, but the smaller gauges are all
there - amps, fuel, oil pressure, and coolant temp. The only other thing
I noticed was that the steering wheel could be turned almost a full turn
before any noticeable effect at the ground. It just looked like
everything was a little sloppy - not any one component - tie rod ends,
steering knuckles, steering box, etc. The steering box is pretty well
buried under the radiator and sheet metal, so I don't think I would want
to have to work on it. The steering shaft universal joints, however,
were very tight. The owner doesn't know where the key is, so Kirk is
going to have to "hot wire" the "ignition" switch. I assume that the
key, like most construction tractors, is a Case universal.

Mike