[Ford-ferguson] Old tractors

Randy Hoch randy at marstal.com
Sun Sep 23 16:32:00 PDT 2007

While I haven't been looking at old Case backhoes, I have been looking at
interesting old stuff.  The neighbor of a friend has an old tractor which I
have been hearing about for years but have never seen.  He is 94 and wants
to get rid of the stuff before he dies.  The friend/neighbor agrees to take
pictures and write an ad for distribution at the local fair. I have been
asked to look at the tractor tell her what it is and what it is all about.
I'm the translator between my friend and the old guy about his tractor.

I make arrangements to visit the old guy and his tractor to determine what
it is and provide other translation services.  In the process of looking in
the shed, he allows as it won't start and the problem is in the carburetor.
I tell him that I will take a look at it to determine what might be needed
to make it a running tractor again.  What I find is an old Wards Twin-Row
and the carburetor leaks fuel in to the carburetor body.  I can't get it
un-flooded to run for more than a second or so.  The other issue is the
tractor is an orphan and has been cobbled together for years.

My question is:  What carburetor is on that engine and are parts available?
I would like to know I have a fighting chance of making it run before I take
it off and find out parts are unobtanium.  As near as we can determine, the
tractor is a 1939 Wards Twin-Row.  It is the same as the B.F. Avery Model A
or the Cletrac General.  Any info on parts availability would be
appreciated.

Randy Hoch