[Farmall] Hydraulic cylinder repair

Ivan Cousins ivancou at alltel.net
Tue Sep 18 13:35:35 PDT 2007

Tommy , first and last rule of hydraulics, keep it clean.  The best way is
to carefully dissassemble it and take the parts to a local shop. Most
everything is std sizes .  It maybe involve just a simple cup for the piston
and an o ring for a wiper seal as on my farmall loader .  I have used a
local shop and  I have also used Baum Hydraulics , to find stuf for me . A
simple phone call and be patient with them . They have some stuff listed by
manufacturer which may be a std kit .  If you call ,try to have everything
measured and find any numbers on the parts . One last thing ,a light coat of
oil on all parts as you put it all back together will help to make stuff
slide easier and protect the edges on the seals & other parts. An impact
wrench takes the nuts off the end of the rod real easy , but be very
carefull about holding it in a visse or grabbing it with pliers .
 I have two cylinders that the crome has come off of ,and simply lightly
polished the rod with fine sandpaper and they work great . They are one way
cylinders however , and if they were two way it could be a different story .
But there are many types of seals so its really hard to get into details
without knowing . You can also buy replacement rod material  or even the
tubes ,but hope you dont have too.   Ivan