[Farmall] Slow Cub Oil Pressure

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 09:28:24 PDT 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Jim Becker wrote:

> They will prime by filling the oil filter housing.  Oil will back-
> flow into
> the opposide end of the same passage that the plug on the left side
> reaches.
> The hydraulic lines are in the way for the plug and it is sometimes
> hard to
> remove.  So I have just used the oil filter method when I have
> needed to
> prime one.

Yep I took a look at the tractor an hour or so ago and found the plug
well and truly hidden under the hydraulic oil pipes - so much for
that good idea <g>.

> I have seen another cause of oil pressure that seems to come up
> slowly.  If
> the gauge itself is gummed up, it can be slow to register.  You
> will have
> pressure but it won't show right away.  In this caase, it will also
> usually
> be very slow to apparently loose pressure when you shut it off.  I
> don't
> think this is what is happening on your tractor.  The noises you
> describe
> indicate the pressure actually is slow to come up.

Yes, I don't think there's anything (much) wrong with the gauge.

> My best guess is that the pump is badly worn or the pickup tube has
> come
> partly loose.  It doesn't sound like a problem to ignore.  It may
> cost you a
> crankshaft if you do.  I would drop the pan and check the pickup
> tube.  It
> is not unusual for people to find them loose.

I'll do that sometime "soon". But circumstances of an upcoming trip
to New Zealand then surgery on an ankle that will lead to crutches
for a month might mean that "soon" isn't until next year.

Do I need a gasket for the oil pan, or is using RTV on it OK?

Thanks

Roger