[AT] Plowing in Ohio/Long

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 19:39:25 PDT 2007

They are used around here to "plow up" terraces, but that's about all.  I
heard it being discusses a few years ago, I don't recall exactally, but I
think it was beans after corn and they wanted less residue, so plowed.

If you "farm the government", then you need residue over the winter.  If you
aren't no-till, everyone wants to get their primary tillage done in the fall
to get in the field quicker in the spring.

I just plowed 11 acres with a MF 3-16 fully mounted.  This was creek bottom
in the Mo River flood plain and most of it hadn't been plowed in 20+ years.
This plow plows good, but there is no "max depth" control that I can figure
out, so I have to fiddle with the draft control as the soil changes.  In
light soil, it will run down to the coulter hubs, wrap weeds and eventually
damage them.  In tough spots, it will go shallow and "blow out" the land
side due to the side draft.  It also doesn't cut enough on the first bottom
at times, but one more slot out on the rear wheel is too much.

I wish I had enough HP to pull a 7-9 shank chistle plow....