[AT] OT - Fire hose fitting question

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Wed Sep 12 19:02:24 PDT 2007

I was at the right municipal surplus auction at the right time and
managed to score an ex fire department '79 Dodge D300 Power Wagon 4
WD brush truck with only 46,000 miles that runs great.  Only repairs
I needed to do was install a new tube in the LH inside dual, replace
a leaky fuel pressure regulator on the separate pump engine in the
bed, and install a new battery.  Not a bad deal for $800, and I will
be selling the lightbar unit off the truck for $150, bringing my cost
down even lower.

Judy and I moved to some steep hillside brushland property about five
years ago and unfortunately it's right in the heart of Southern CA
wildfire country.  Having the truck around won't guarantee safety,
but might make a difference to us and our neighbors in a small
fire.  The roads and driveways around us are too twisty and steep for
most standard fire trucks to negotiate.

At another auction I recently bought a pallet of many surplus fire
department hoses.  Was testing some of them today and some are good,
others have leaks.

My question to the collective wisdom of the list is does anyone know
a cheap and effective way to re-use fire hose fittings?  If so, I
could simply cut out the leaking portions and re-attach the
fittings.  Looking at the fittings, they appear swedged on, so maybe
I'm wishing for something not possible.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard & Judy Walker