[AT] Greasing trailer wheel bearings

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Sep 12 05:06:54 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Jones" <aljones at ncfreedom.net>

> All,
>
> I need to pull my tractor hauling trailer on about a 5 hr (each way)
> trip Saturday.  Running empty going and hauling about 1500 lbs coming
> back.  It has the factory "bearing buddy" type center caps on it so you
> can grease the wheel bearings with the grease gun.  I think they're
> Dexter axles, anyway the bearing buddy's are factory.  What kind of
> grease should I use? We use a multipurpose (Massey-Ferguson) lithium
> grease in the grease gun on the farm but I think it's a little bit
> "lighter weight" than regular wheel bearing grease. I wanted to make
> sure before I started pumping a bunch in there. (I know not to over-do
> it and run the risk of pushing grease out the inner bearing and all over
> the brakes.)
>
> Thanks!
> Al

    Hi Al:

    Most of the newer wheel bearing greases today are not the stiff old
gummy stuff with added fiber that we used years ago. Any "good" chassis
grease should serve you well.
    If you look at the bottom of your axles you may find a hole on the
bottom of each one where they are drilled to allow the excess grease to push
out and fall on the ground rather than push out onto the breaks. Many newer
axles are drilled that way. The hole would probably be about 3" to 6" past
the brake plate.
    Todays wheel bearings and greases are pretty durable and forgiving
compared to those of the 1940's and 1950's. If it were me I would probably
just add about a fair-sized teaspoon of "good" grease to eash one before I
left and then hit them again about the same after  driving about an hour.
When you stop check the temperature of each one. On a trailer with brakes
though it can be hard to tell brake heat from bearing heat. Bearing Buddies
got their start on boat trailers that are backed down into deep water.
Brakes are not too common on the average smaller boat trailer.
    The subject of just how tight trailer bearings should be adjusted is one
of those that we sometimes disagree about on this list. My personal choice
is "tight enough"   ;-)   but not over-tightened. Given a choice I would
rather the castle nut be a notch loose than a notch too tight. Others
disagree... I have seen older bearings that were run too loose for a long
time then over tightened and since the roller shape was then a little off,
then running tight under heavy load resulted in roller fracturing. I learned
that one the hard way on a 1955 3/4 ton Chevy. I was young... I thought that
if I disassembled everything and cleaned everything well and packed them
well and tightened them to specs that all would be fine. Not so... I hate
doing repairs out on the road.   :-)   Now on an old loose wheel bearing I
still disassemble and clean and pack but now I would always make them
tighter than they were but not fully torque wrench tightened. Take out most
of the slop but leave a notch or two of breathing room. On newer good
bearings of course I would just tighten to specs.
    Maybe I like to run old stuff looser because I have gotten older and
looser...   ;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson