[AT] Greasing trailer wheel bearings

Jeff Pilbeam pilbeam100 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 04:02:38 PDT 2007

Al,
  I own several trailers, from snowmobile type w/smaler 10" wheels to equipment type with 15" wheels.
  I have always used gun grease multi purpose with my bearing buddies. If it came from the factory with them they actually have a hole thru the center of the spindle that grease can go right to the bearings. Over greasing like you say is not good.
  Its the peeps that use nothing that have failures. Whe I go to the Upper Penninsula with sleds, I simply jack ea wheel up and give it a spin to check  for bearing noise. No noise = run it. using this method I have NEVER has a failure. My sled trailer in fact hasnt had the bearings apart in 10 years or so.
  Some people will tell you to use a certain grease, however when you use nothing, thats when the bearings dry up and fail.

  MY 2 CENTS

Al Jones <aljones at ncfreedom.net> wrote:
  All,

I need to pull my tractor hauling trailer on about a 5 hr (each way)
trip Saturday. Running empty going and hauling about 1500 lbs coming
back. It has the factory "bearing buddy" type center caps on it so you
can grease the wheel bearings with the grease gun. I think they're
Dexter axles, anyway the bearing buddy's are factory. What kind of
grease should I use? We use a multipurpose (Massey-Ferguson) lithium
grease in the grease gun on the farm but I think it's a little bit
"lighter weight" than regular wheel bearing grease. I wanted to make
sure before I started pumping a bunch in there. (I know not to over-do
it and run the risk of pushing grease out the inner bearing and all over
the brakes.)

Thanks!
Al