[AT] Spam> welding aluminum

Mike Reggie mrreg_99 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 00:15:07 PDT 2007

    I might be able to offer a suggestion, could it be that what you have is
magnesium, and not an aluminum casting at all, from what you have described
it seems that is what it is. Magnesium will often react the way you describe
when it is welded with aluminum filler rod. As someone else suggested
aluminum castings can be hit or miss but this doesn't sound like that.  You
could try sanding or grinding the piece and take note if the grindings are
coming off stringy rather than grainy, that would indicate magnesium, or try
to take note of how the arc burns, sometimes magnesium will  have a colorful
arc.

    If you are fairly certain it is just a fussy aluminum casting or just
want to eliminate the possibility, you could try changing your filler, if
you are using 4043, change to 5356, or vice versa, also you could try
changing the cup size  on the torch, especially if the part is round, try a
smaller cup, and lastly, make sure your shielding gas flow is within the
proper parameters, sometimes overgassing can cause cracking, more so with
helium than argon.
  Aside from these things it sounds like everything else is as good as it
could be. I hope this will be of some help and let us know how things turn
out.
  Good luck with the repair.

  Mike