[AT] Spam> welding aluminum

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Sep 10 22:39:33 PDT 2007

Oh cast aluminum can cause you to go crazy some times.
The trick on heating is to KEEP the part hot while your welding it. Then
let it all cool together. The trick is to get the part hot enough
without it turning into an instant lump! Aluminum conducts heat VERY
rapidly and cools just as fast. By keeping the part hot while your
welding it you keep the possible shrinkage at a minimum. Personally if
the part isn't structural I would likely look at pinning it together
then using something like AlumiWeld on it.

What is the part your working on?

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York