[AT] ford N charging system

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 8 10:32:06 PDT 2007

Sorry John.. not completely correct.

Ford N series that used the 2 brush non adjustable genny was INDEED "A"
Circuit type.  This genny DID rely upon an externally grounded to provide
charge.  That is, one side of the field coil was hooked to the armature
internally, and the other side terminated at the insulated field lug on the
genny case.  The regulator used a vibrating contact with applied ground to
the field terminal ( there was also a field bias resistor between ground and
the field terminal on the regulator to provide some needle bounce buffering
by keeping a bit of field current going even when the contacts were open.

Jump ahead to 53 and the NAA, and ford went to the "B" Circuit systems that
needed power to the field lug to charge.  in those systems, the field coil
was internally grounded to the case, and the other side of the coil went to
the insulated field lug on the genny case.  The regulator applied field
power to the field terminal via the vibrating field contact. You could also
have a bias resistor between the field lug and the armature lug  on the
regulator, plus another bias resistor, depending on design of the
regulator.. etc.

Applying power to the field terminal on a A-Circuit system is a GREAT way to
burn up a 40$ regulator.

Testing:

A-circuit

Try to motor it, pull all wires off genny, slip belt off, apply battery
power to the armature, ground the field.
Genny should motor.  If not, check brushes and coils.  May need a growler or
a shop to do this. Most gennies that motor, will charge.  Most gennies that
charge, will motor.

B-Circuit

motoring, remove all wires from genny, slip belt off, jumper power to
armature, jumper power to field.  genyy should motor.

Polarizing correctly:

Hook up all wires and the regulator as per oem wire diagram.  have a good
charged battery installed to the correct polarity:

A-Circuit

Engine off, Jumper battery to armature.  This can be at the regulator or
with a piece of wire from bat hot to armature lug.. electrically it's all
the same.  You should see a spark.

B-Circuit

Engine off, Jumper Battery hot to field,

FULL FIELD test:

A-Circuit

Engine running, 1000rpm or so.. Ground field tab at genny, look at ammeter..
should put out 10-20+amps.. don't do this very long.

B-Circuit

engine running, 1000 rpm or so, jumper power to field tab at genny, observe
ammeter, should get 10-20+ amp reading.
(yes, this is the same as the Bcircuit polarization procedure.. )

Ford continued the B circuit design up thru the thousand series.  Lucas
systems are also B circuit.

Early 3 brush gennies on the 9n/2n with a cutout only:

polarize by jumpering around cutout relay.. ie, jumper the 2 terminals on
the relay.

motor test by slipping belt off, jumper power to the armature, adjust 3rd
brush to max

Soundguy