[AT] Old tractors and hay + TX state fair

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Wed Oct 10 12:27:58 PDT 2007

Farmer,

Your JD mower is most likely the common No. 5.
There's a pic of this good quality mower at
http://web2.airmail.net/bealke/jdno5sm.jpg.

I have used No 5's on both a JD H (armstrong lift)
and a Farmall Super H (hydraulic lift) and can
promise that the lift method makes FAR more
difference than the tractor color.  Another huge
factor for a mowing tractor for me was road
speed, and the Farmalls sure were better on this.

Just went to the Texas State Fair, and
continue to be disappointed at the number
of new tractors and farm equipment (almost
nil) on display.  The local (Dallas area) antique
club had a few Deeres there, but there are strong
reasons that you are not likely to see as many
new or old tractors at this fair any more.  In an age
where the FFA has as many city as farm
recruits, I guess you can expect changes.
Took a few shots of show animals (FFA) and
green iron ('bout all there was) at the fair:
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/plowsong/TexasStateFair07/?start=all

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com