[AT] Nice picture/Soils

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 2 04:36:18 PDT 2007

Around this part of NJ the areas are called "muck" or "black soil". It
was used for growing onions, celery, cabbage, and other vegetables for
many years. It was formed when the glaciers receded during the end of
the Ice Age, and folks still find monmouth tusks and other bones from
time to time. They worked it with Allis Chalmers G tractors and Cletrac
crawlers, which were light enough to not compress the soil. Now most of
it is used for sod (rolled up grass mats for new lawns), but some of it
is still used for Asian and other specialty vegetables for restaurants.
I have about 6 acres of this stuff, but it had gone back to wetlands
when I bought the place, and I just leave it for the wildlife to enjoy.
If you get it on your hands, it is very hard to remove - almost like
working on an old tractor!

Mike