[AT] Nice picture/Soils

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Tue Oct 2 02:41:46 PDT 2007

    Mattias;

    My soil here in western Ohio is similar to that. This area is an ancient
lakebed. The soil is what is  called "wave modified" from the shallow waters
of the ancient lake. The soil is very productive, but cannot be worked wet.
Soil grains are very small, so stick very tightly. Trying to walk through
mud will suck the boots off your feet.
    There are many remaining areas of the old lake still around the area.
They are low spots from the glacial depressions from the glaciers that
visited the nation. Some spots are so low that drainage is not practical and
only outlet for water is percolation and evaporation.

                            Gene