[AT] Hay loading video

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Oct 26 07:55:19 PDT 2007

You and I are the same vintage, George.  I was wondering why I remember
using a hay loader as a kid and nobody else on the list seems to.  Our
neighbor, George Gilleff, had horses and a full complement of horse-drawn
equipment for farming.  We did share farming between the neighbors in those
days.  George typically got a portion of each cutting of hay in exchange for
helping us harvest it.  I got the experience of driving the horses while
George pitched hay around the wagon as it came off the loader.  We had a hay
fork and carrier installed in our barn, but George used slings.  We would
start with one sling spread out on the floor of the empty wagon and then add
two more as the wagon filled up.  When we headed to the barn, the whole
wagon could be loaded into the hay mow in just three loads.  George had a
bank barn, but it only had an entry on one side.  Those poor horses did not
like having to back that loaded wagon up the bank to park it in the alley.
But they also walked slow enough when pulling the loader that George didn't
have to work too fast to keep up.

Larry