[Farmall] oil pressure

Bob Currie tracturs at att.net
Thu Nov 29 19:06:41 PST 2007

I'm still messing with this oil pressure reading situation and after digesting all that good stuff you folks said last week, I went out and bought a 0-15 psi guage that reads in tenths. I took it and hooked it into my shops air system so I could read it in parallel with the regulators pressure gauge I have in that air system. I'm ok with how it measures, (accurate within one tenth of a pound) so I put in on the 1925 10-20 with no oil filter, and then I ran it on my 1929 Regular with no oil filter. Both tractors have good starting compression, and run fine, so even though I have not rebuilt the motors, I'm assuming they are in good condtion and their oiling systems are working fine.  I got a pressure range on the McCormick Deering 10-20 of 2.1 psi at warm/idle, and the highest was 5.3 psi at high rpms/cold. When I measured the  Farmall Regular I got about the same spread, but a little higher on the gauge. 3.0 at warm/idle and 6.1 at high rpms. So that confirms for me what you all said regarding the type of pressure you can expect from this era of IH tractors, and explains why the original equipment oil gauges came in a four lb gauge (16924H) or a ten lb gauge (13093D)..And also explains why some of the reproduction guages that are available today might be a little misleading on the readings you'll find from your tractor, or might be the wrong gauge altogether. For example, the correct gauge for a f-12/14 or the lettered series tractors will read way off for the old grey ones were talking about here. All I can find so far is that the lowest reproduction ones you can get are 0-15 psi..I'm working on trying to find somebody who can re calibrate these after market gauges down to 8 or 10psi. There is a guy in northern WI who tells me he can rebuild most of them and can get parts to do so from Rochester. We'll see. And all this gobbily gook is because the present oil pressure gauge on the tractor is not rebuildable. The End.

Bob Currie
Greenwood, CA