[Farmall] O/T...but serendipity

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 08:14:56 PST 2007

szabelsk at gdls.com wrote: Queen Ann's Lace, chicory, sounds like my acreage. We have an ample supply
of wild strawberries, thistle, dandelions, maybe a dozen and a half of
different grasses, etc. All without adding anything to the soil. Once the
clay is bare it does take a little while for all of these to fill in, but
they do. I have noticed that the trees take a little long to take root and
start maturing, but once they do, they seem to grow normal. Seed from the
bird feeders seems to take root easy too, including the corn. I would
think that adding anything on top of the clay can only help. Even a good
covering of straw or hay that would help with the germination.
**  I took a bit of a closer look at the intended area(s), which meant trudging out there in the drizzle, but that's OK.  The troubled ground, as I have mentioned, is pretty much hard-packed with substantial clay make-up.  However, while normal "grass" does not wish to readily "take", there is and has been support of some wildflower species.  The larger of the two parcels is fairly well drained and is in "full sun".  Based upon this, I conclude that other wildflower types will succeed, as well.  My little bit of research has shown a few "cautions", which I would like to bounce off of you folks. First of all, tilling or turning of no more than 1 to 2 inches is recommended.  This is due to the possibility of "unearthing" weed and grass seeds that are dormant and lying deeper beneath the surface.  Secondly, additional fertilization is discouraged, as doing so may well assist weeds in developing.  Thirdly, it is advised to observe a fairly minimal sowing depth.  Basically, I
 understand that things will go better if the surface is barely "scratched" using a rake or a rear-mounted implement set minimally.  Also, once the seeds/seed mixture is broadcast, ideally using a spreading device containing the seed blend within masonry sand or perlite in a 4-to-1 mixture (4 parts inert to 1 part seed), that should be "pressed down" lightly by walking over same or using a roller (1/16 inch depression at the most).  Then, if the rain falls just right, it is pretty much sit back and enjoy.  It the rain DOES NOT cooperate, some watering may be necessary, but that is not too much of a worry for us guys in Rochester, New York. ;-)
That second "front area" (closer to the house) is similar, but a bit different, in that it is not quite as well drained as the one described above.  Apparently, mot wildflowers don't fare as well in more-wet conditions.  At first, I think that I am going to treat area "2" same as area "1".

One more thing that I just remembered, and it probably is a little late
for you, but they sell wild flower mats that you just lay like sod. Don't
know what they cost or where to get them. You could lay these mats down
and then add the seed you already have to thicken up the growth. The mats
should help the seed germinate and take root. Also would keep the birds
from eating up all your efforts.
**  One other decision that I have made is to try to accomplish an acceptable outcome is to do so at minimal cost.  It is NOT that I am a cheapskate, I just have determined to go at things in such a manner.  Other than the seed expenditure ($25.00 total), I don't intend to buy any new equipment (e.g., fancy rototillers, etc.) AND I am going to keep an accounting on what I actually extend out-of-pocket.  Maybe two gallons of diesel which, at $3.50 per, is not insignificant. ;-)  All of this will have me anticipating the passing of winter in order to get underway.  Well, I guess those of us locked into a part of the country where winter can be a vengeful thing need something to which forward looking is of benefit.

Another idea. Does anybody in your area do hydro-seeding? Maybe you could
get them to hydro-seed your wild flower seed.  The paper holds the seed in
place and helps with moisture control. My brother had his yard
hydro-seeded and the grass grew on everything that got sprayed, even the
side of his house. Basically all hydro-seeding is is mixing seed,
fertilizer, and ground up paper together. Maybe you can figure out how to
make and spread your own.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.