[AT] Track loader update

Spencer - ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Sun Nov 11 17:30:27 PST 2007

You may recall the successful ether test earlier in the week, where I
got a pop and wuff on ether.  As I mentioned in that email, I had
suspected the carb was probably bad as no fuel was getting picked up by
the engine.  Plus it had tons of signs of previous owner abuse in the
carb.  So list member John Parks (tractorparts.com) came to my rescue,
and I got a replacement used carb on Friday.   I swapped out the carb
and now I get......

Success!

One interesting thing - I had to run the engine using the starter for a
while.   For about 2 minutes, the engine would run about half speed
using the starter, but would die immediately if I let go of the starter
button.   After that minute or two, she would run.   Guess since its
been 4 years the engine and/or hydraulic pump was a little stiff and it
took a little too much power for starting speed to catch a full burn, or
the rings were a little stuck or the valve seats were a little rusty and
she wouldn't make compression for a while.   That's the only thing I can
figure.  A ton of crud did came out of the stack.  Remember, she
probably hasn't run on gas in 20 years or more.

Thanks to everyone for your help - I do appreciate it!

Next - get the rock arms and shaft cleaned up - very little oil is
getting to the valve train and because the valve train is very dirty and
a little rusty.

Spencer