[Farmall] O/T...."what can I grow"?

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 05:32:04 PST 2007

As nearly as I can tell, many years ago, a portion of the field between the street and where my house sits (about 1/3 of five acres or so) was "box scraped" to gather fill for another part of the property.  This activity denuded the patch of the topsoil....the unaffected area is really quite "rich" and grass grows profusely.  Sadly, the scraping was executed in what might be called the "middle" of this field, leaving behind stones of various sizes and a clay-ish subsoil.  Over time, I have unearthed a lot of the rocks (more to go, naturally) but, due to the poor condition of the dirt, the grass/weeds and such refuse to take hold and fill in.  I am not chasing down "commerce", here.  I was thinking, however, that maybe I could get some success (and a bit of a different appearance) by doing  some more clearing and tilling of the "affected" area.  I have noticed that wild onions seem to do well around my property and my thinking went to other "bulb" plants (e.g., garlic,
 scallions, horseradish, etc.).  Alternatively, maybe cultivating the soil, cutting the area with something such as peat moss and randomly strewing wild flower seeds would result in a nice look, breaking up the monotony of just green grass. Hey...just some random thoughts and, on the plus side, it would provide with another justification to spending more time up on a tractor. ;-)
Thanks for your suggestions.
Jim

John Hall <jthall at worldnet.att.net> wrote: Talk to your local FSA and get some ideas of crops. Send off a bunch of soil
samples (its free in NC) to see just how poor the soil really is--make a map
of the farm when you do this as your results may require micro-managing to
get the farm uniform. When you send in the samples, indicate what you would
like to grow and they can let you know how much the "correction" amounts of
fertilizer and lime (if used in your area) would be.

A lot of small acreages do big business on vegetable crops and ornamentals.
One thing that is labor intensive and requires a good location (near larger
poplations) is a corn maze.

John