[AT] Gas turbines

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Mon May 21 11:10:58 PDT 2007

I don't know anything about gas turbines or their relative efficiency but I
saw how effective they can be as ships power plants.

I was a Machinist's Mate aboard the USS Wainwright DLG-28.  While some MM's
actually work with machine tools, most are assigned to the engine rooms, as
I was.  Wainwright was state-of-the-art for a light cruiser in the US Navy
in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  She was 547 feet long with a beam of
55 feet, a draft of 28 feet, and a displacement of 7930 tons.

Typical of our ships, main power was 2 steam turbines running on superheated
steam  - close to 1000 degrees and at 1200 PSI - producing 45,000 HP each.
It took us about 3 hours to get underway from a cold start under normal
conditions, though we could get some movement in about an hour and a half in
an all-out emergency.  Most European Navies were already converting to gas
turbines for main propulsion.  I know the British and Canadians could go
from cold iron to full fighting power in less than 1/2 hour because I saw
them do it.

In early 1973 we were assigned to the Sixth Fleet in the western
Mediterranean.  We were always playing games with the Russians.  One evening
I had just gone on duty in the forward engine room - "Main Control" for
Engineering - on the 4-to-8 watch when we received engine orders to increase
speed above our usual cruising speed of about 18 knots.  The orders kept
coming until we were running at full speed, around 30 knots.  By the time we
were relieved for evening chow at 5:30, we were at flank speed - all she
had, full out.  That's a very dangerous condition where major problems occur
very fast with steam engines.  We didn't do it often.  The phone talkers
from the bridge were only telling us that it was more games with the
Russians but there was a lot of strain in their voices.  Our reliefs just
said to go out on the fantail.  As soon as we got out of the hole I grabbed
a sandwich & went on deck.

About a hundred yards off our stern and directly in the center of our wake
was a Russian destroyer.  Looking ahead, there was another one about the
same distance off our bow & running directly ahead of us.    Three large
warships running *very* close together, nose-to-tail at over 30 knots.  If
the front Russian's engines had hiccupped we would have cut straight into
him.  If our engines hiccupped we would have been rammed by the Russian
behind us.  Knowing how close our engines were to that hiccup made it very
frightening indeed.

The guys that had been on deck and saw this situation develop said the
Russians just came up over the horizon and caught up to us "suddenly".  The
one in front of us was able to get there and maintain his position with
enough speed to counter any move we made and even zig-zag a bit.  After I
had been on deck about 15 minutes, the Russians decided to call it off.
They just cranked those gas turbines up a bit more and were gone over the
horizon in front of us in another half-hour.  We figured they had to be
doing close to 45 knots.

I loved the steam engines and I know they had a lot of strong points going
for them.  For a warship, though, I also saw those very important benefits
of the gas turbine: they can be almost instantly ready for full service and
they can develop high
speeds with strong acceleration.

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN