[Farmall] Oily brakes, Farmall M

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun May 13 06:18:22 PDT 2007

Thanks, John.  You did mention the slide hammmer dent puller/seal puller,
but I didn't find anything like that when I went to the auto parts store.  I
figured the gear puller will likely come in handy again, so went ahead and
got it.  And as hard as it was to get those seals to budge, I'm glad to have
had it.

On your gasket, do you mean it goes behind that big cap washer and bolt that
holds the brake drum on the splined shaft?  I bought some flexible cork-like
washers from Case/IH to go there.  They don't show in the parts book diagram
for the brakes but they're shown in the diagram for the differential, listed
as "bull pinion and brake shaft seal".  They were about 3/16" thick
originally, but evidently compressed quite a bit once I tightened that bolt
and washer down on top of them.

When I originally took the brakes apart, each side had a rubber washer in
that same place, with "fingers" extending out that fit in between the
splines.  The parts guy at the local Case/IH dealer didn't recognize them,
but figured they must have been an older version of the brake shaft seal.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net