[AT] OT NuGrape, Beeman's Pepsin Gum etc (Country Store)

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Tue May 29 21:21:36 PDT 2007

Mercy, Dean, I thought it was regulation that the delightfully frigid bottles from those coolers had to be downed while wet or wiped on your shirt if you were under 13.  In the mid-50s, in such country stores in Missouri you might see
a fetching likeness of a young Sandy Duncan on a painted RC Cola sign. Those stores were wondrous places - worn out floors, pipe tobacco in the thin cans (Prince Albert sold well),  Bull Durham in the white sacks with pull strings, Cracker Jacks with a real plastic toy, always some new candy or other snack, tube repair kits (like Monkey) and LOTS more.  There was one I could hike across creek, fields and woods to reach about a mile from our farm, though I seldom had the coins, free time and permission needed together.  Like most such, it had an outhouse best avoided in July.  Oh yeah, gas was about a quarter a gallon, including - if you wanted to wait, your windshield wiped, oil checked and maybe some news of neighbors.