[AT] Welding Grousers...?

toma toma at risingnet.net
Mon May 14 13:48:07 PDT 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007 william.neff.powell at comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone had success welding grousers on their old dozer pads?
>
> Whats the best method, mig, stick, type of rod to use?

I have welded grousers on several old Cats the most recent being my D4 7U.
It is quite time consuming but very rewarding. The dozer would not start a
decent cut without spinning the tracks, after re-grousering it will do
much better more productive work.

Due to the amount of your own labor involved I would recommend using
grouser bar. It is not real expensive and the side that you weld to the
old grouser is beveled just right for welding. It has the correct tapered
profile and  will look and perform just like new grousers. It comes in
different heights and you should use the one that brings it back to the
original spec. I made the mistake of letting the guy talk me into the
taller bar and that old D4 really tears up the yard.

At the time I had an old Hobart welder and welded one side on with DC and
5/32" 7018. The old welder burned up half way through and I did the other
side with my old AC 180 amp buzz box and 5/32" 6013. To this day (many
years later) you can't tell the difference and none have ever bent or come
off.

I jacked up the side I was working on and welded 2 or 3 at a time on the
back so I could weld in the flat position, Then turn the track with a bar
and weld on 2 or 3 more, when they came out in the front I welded the
other side. You have to take care to get them started so they are
straight. Some guys make a jig for this. Tack them in several places on
both sides so they dont pull when you make the main weld.

Years before I did a Cletrac and a D2 using mild steel bar, these both
bent and came off.

If you have loose pads you may not want to invest the time. If the holes
are wallowed out too big you will never get them to stay tight. If you
only have a few you could consider replacing the bad ones. Use only the
special track bolts. If it an old set of tracks that you plan to "run to
destruction" you could weld the pads right to the rails.

Good luck it will hone your welding skills.

Tom