[AT] Horsedrawn grader on eBay

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon May 7 14:14:33 PDT 2007

What's really strange about your story, Greg, is that when I was growing up
in northern Indiana, what you describe as a maintainer was known as a road
grader, and the single blade machine that was self-powered was known as a
maintainer.  Ah well, that's the way it goes sometimes.  I hated it when the
county came by and graded the road because that meant that for several days
it would be rough pedaling with my bicycle until the stones got kicked out
of the tire tracks again.

FWIW, back in the late 30's there was a single blade attachment for a John
Deere L that did the work of the Adams machine.  It had the large wheels on
either side for adjusting the "bite" and some other levers and wheels for
other adjustments.  It did everything like the horse-drawn equipment except
slant the wheels.  I have VHS conversions of the home movies taken by my
uncle when a contractor landscaped the front yard of his new house with that
rig.  The driver got too close to an open excavation and lost the whole
tractor down in the pit.  The movie shows some of the work required for the
recovery effort.  OOTD (One Of These Days) I'll have to burn that footage to
a CD or DVD so it can be viewed by others.

Larry