[AT] Horsedrawn grader on eBay

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon May 7 12:07:19 PDT 2007

Reminds me of a true story that happened before my time. At  that time each
township in our county had a grader like this to grade the roads. After
better machines came out the old graders were parked at a spot in the
township and people were allowed to use it for their personal use and then
return it to it's spot for someone else to use. It happens that the grader
was parked across the road from where I now live. A mile away lived a
neighbor who always had a little more money than anyone else.He was also
well known in the area. Well, one day he offered the County  twenty-five
dollars for the grader and they sold it to him. They really had no right to
do this as no bids were taken and it was never advertised as being for
sale. One of those deals where it's not what you know but who you know. The
man who lived here and who I bought this farm from, heard about this and
found out who had the grader and loaded his gun and went to get it back.
Someone heard what he was doing and caught up to him before he used the gun
and talked him into leaving it go. The other mans son still has the grader
although I haven't seen it in 20 years. The players in this story have been
dead for over 20 years but when I was young and they were still alive there
were bad fellings in the neighborhood about the grader guy as that was only
one of many stunts of this type he pulled, a couple of which I was old
enough to remember. I guess every neighborhood has to have one of these people.
Greg Hass
Michigan