[AT] Harvest photo

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Mar 22 19:40:41 PDT 2007

Gene Dotson wrote:
>     Ralph;
>     As always I enjoyed your photo. What crop are you harvesting in this
> photo? Would you happen to have some photos of the large pull type combines
> used in your area?

Gene, forgot to mention that the crop being harvested in the photo was
spring wheat. It could have easily been straight cut if the combine had
a working attachment but all it had was the Sund pickup as far as I know.
Heres a picture I have had up at the red power forum for a while now
showing my late model 930 Case hitched to the 460 pull type Case back in
1977. I started out with a 730 which had adequate power but it was
traded on the 930 which worked even better having more weight and power,
power steering too. I learned a lot about combines on that 460. Such as
the popular belief that cylinder width equals combine capacity. This
machine had a 40 inch wide cylinder but I doubt it had as much capacity
as a good 36 inch machine. It had a small diameter cylinder which did
not have the "flywheel effect" of increased inertia that heavier
cylinders had. That combined with a dried up slipping beater drive belt
that would stop at the slightest load caused a lot of plugged cylinders,
bent crowbars and frustration.
The 460 was the same capacity as the 600 or 660 self propelled.
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=40360

Ralph in Sask.