[Steam-engine] burning coal-

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 06:07:44 PDT 2007

Andrew,

Our little train has 1/2 tubes and I have my dad bring
me down coal from WV to burn.  We burn "Pocahontas
Smokeless" and it is very hot and clean.  Many of the
model train guys burn that coal in their engines.  I
grew up in WV and many of my friends heated their
homes with coal and some still do, it is amazing how
much variation can be from one coal seam to the next
and what mixing coals can do to a fire.

Dad purchases the coal in 50 pound bags like buying
concrete.  It is sold at many of the hardware stores
and I have even seen it on ebay being advertised in
the "blacksmith" category.  Once a person fires with
that coal, they don't want any other.  We used to use
the local coal where I grew up and we called it "Video
Coal" because it was great on tape but not on keeping
the engine and tubes clean.  It was bituminous coal
from a seam called "Pittsburgh".  The smokeless coal
comes from the south east part of WV and western VA.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Smith