[Ford-ferguson] Chippers for Ferguson TO-30

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Wed Mar 7 04:57:25 PST 2007

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Dave <ford8n at gwltd.com>

> One guy did have a point about the to-30 being a little
> under powered,  you should think about that.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it.  I run a chipper/shredder
(an older "Lickety Chipper" probably dating back to the
1960's) with my modern Ford 23HP diesel and it does just
fine.  This c/s machine does not have the sharp blades of
modern chippers; it uses heavy (and very very dull) flails.
I figure those flails have got to suck up quite a bit more
HP in operation than a sharpened blade.  Running this
classic beast well below 540RPM, therefore well under the
rated 23HP, it will process material just about as fast as I
can shove it in.  It's flywheel is relatively heavy and it
takes some clutch-slipping to get it spinning, but that's
about the only caveat.

Steve O.