[AT] Waste oil burner

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Mar 5 09:29:07 PST 2007

I probably shouldn't join in this thread, but I'm a little surprised that
you guys don't realize what a low temperature it takes to get engine oil to
crystallize.  Ol' Rog probably has the best solution to the problem -- pull
it apart every week or so and clean out the tube.  Those of us who have had
to deal with oil leaks ON the heads of air-cooled engines know first-hand
that the hard carbon build-up doesn't take long to form on the cooling fins
and can cause major problems if left unchecked.  Andy, the Case/IH
dealership up in Poseyville had a waste oil burner in their old shop.  It
was a commercial unit with pumps, atomizers, and the whole nine yards.  They
were forever fussing with it to clean out the carbon build-up.  Engine oil
doesn't have to get to combustion temperature before it starts reacting
chemically.  I've seen carbon build-up on the outside of an engine that was
a lot harder than the black greasy build-up that you typically get on the
top of a piston in an engine with a bad oil ring.  More power to you in
looking for a solution to the problem, but it's a little like trying to
invent a machine for perpetual motion.  The fact that the tube is inside the
fire chamber means it's going to be hot enough to have problems, and fuel
oil doesn't have the same characteristics as waste engine oil.

BTW, Andy, I'm hoping to bring a whole stable of tractors to the SIAM show
in June -- five or six -- and some of my collector friends from the
southeast may show up with theirs as well -- Georgia, the Carolina's...

Larry