[Ford-ferguson] Chippers for Ferguson TO-30

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Mar 5 03:18:06 PST 2007

I am not familiar with any of the chippers you described, but I used to
sell Woods products, and the only thing I will say is that the old rule
of: "you get what you pay for" may holds true. If the tractor's
hydraulics are in good shape, it will be able to lift the unit, but the
front end is going to be very, very light. I also notice that the unit
is rated as 18-70 hp, which puts your tractor down near the bottom of
that range. (While the TO-30 originally was rated at 30 hp, unless you
have completely overhauled your engine, it is probably putting out
something like 20-25 these days.)

There are essentially two arrangements used on chippers: one is a set of
free swinging "hammers" or knives, something like a flail mower, and the
other is a heavy flywheel with fixed blades. From the limited
description of the Liberty unit, they appear to use the flywheel method.
Both systems work, but the swinging hammer arrangement has the advantage
of being able to withstand jamming easier, as the blades will just
bounce off of a particularly large piece of hardwood, etc. The flywheel
type can get jammed and then takes a fair amount of work to free it up.
I am guessing that the flywheel on the Liberty makes up a fair amount of
the weight of the unit.

The comparable Woods chipper weighs 450 lbs. <http://www.tiny.cc/U86xX>,
but it is double the price. I would say that the Liberty would probably
be OK for use a couple of times a year to clean up around your place (as
opposed to commercial operation), but it is your money, not mine. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter
than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side.
-- Molly Ivins 1944-2007