[AT] whoops//cub cadet

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 06:06:43 PDT 2007

I remember setting points to either a matchbook cover or a paper match
thickness, I don't remember which.

When I was in 12th grade, our school bus quit while running down the
highway.  Of course, we didn't have all those safety rules then, so the
driver let me pop the hood.  The first thing I did was take off the dist.
cap, my guess was that it had broken a timing chain and I expected the rotor
wouldn't turn, but I found the points spring had broken and the points were
standing wide open.

I stopped the next farmer that drove by and convinced him to take me to
NAPA, brought back a new set of points and set them by eyeball.  The bus
fired right up,  but I told the driver to HAVE IT CHECKED.  He told me the
next day that the mechanic put a dwell meter on it and said it was close
enough, so he didn't do anything else.

The biggest problem was getting NAPA to "charge" the points, I didn't have
any money....