[AT] History Exam, now kid memories

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 19 20:19:49 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hall" <jthall at worldnet.att.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] History Exam, now kid memories

> Hey Ralph, got a question for you. How do they apply fertilizer in the big
> wheat growing regions. We quit doing it with the drill over 20 years
> ago--seems to me the it was to slow however a lot more accurate than a
> apreader.
>  Also, how do they apply lime? The trucks we use only hold 8 tons--thats
> about enough to go over 8-12 acres on average. Can't quite figure out how
> that would work in a several hundred acre field!

John, most fertilizer is applied with the seeding operation here. I'm a
little behind the times and I put my nitrogen on as anhydrous either in fall
or spring before seeding. And then some granular is applied with the seed in
a split tank air seeder.  Many pull the anhydrous tanks right behind the air
seeder or air drill now so it is a once over operation. Some are opting for
liquid fertilizer which is safer than anhydrous but more expensive. It makes
quite a train of equipment with the air seeder, grain/fertilizer tank, and
then an anhydrous or liquid fert. tank.
Lime? Far as I know we don't use it here, at least not on my land.

Ralph in Sask.