[AT] Good bye!

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 9 13:34:39 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bruce" <davidbruce at yadtel.net>
> Glad Cecil Monson isn't here to see the mess - the list has suffered
> greatly with his loss.
> I see the end of something special here.
> David
> NW NC

There's a lot of old names that aren't here any longer.  I joined in 1994,
was gone for a few years after the last (I think) server move, and signed
back up  a year or so ago.  Much changed during the 3-4 years I was absent.
This list was originally intended to run on the honor system, people were
expected to behave themselves.  Rarely did Spencer ahve to spank anyone.

I know there are still some of the originals around and I'm not sure if the
current rectum crop contains any of those or not.  Some of the names I don't
see here now, or very rarely,,,  Hank Wessel (Hank originally got me
involved here), Max McFadden, Chuck Bealke, Paul Bazzeta.  I've been blessed
with meeting some of the folks from here, haven't met a bad one yet but that
might be because my "jackass alarm" went off, based on their behavior
online, and I tend to avoid that type in real life.

Who remembers the long voyage of "The Boxes" that so many of us were
involved with.  For those who don't know the story here's a short version.
Spencer had  a JD "M" that he was going to restore.  A bunch of us came up
with the idea of getting a set of manuals for it and circulating them as far
as possible, by face-to-face meetings between members.  Seems like there
were four manuals and they each took a different trip.  Each carrier signed
the book before passing it on.  I met some nice folks while I was involved
with the box.  If I remember right we managed to keep it secret and I think
the box, with the manuals back together (only three, seems like one
disappeared enroute to/from So. Africa) were given to Spencer at the
Portland show.  That goes back a ways, seems like it was 1997 or '98 we did
that.

I'm involved in a couple online discussion boards.  Both are moderated, a
duty I share on one of them.  With the current, and increasing, tendency to
bad manners when behind a keyboard, I'm not sure an unmoderated list can
survive.  Sad statement, but there's a lot of people who get their kicks by
being abusive and getting attention by causing a stir.

Al Nadeau