[AT] OT: Gas story

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Jul 8 08:45:02 PDT 2007

I don't think Ron is Walt--he sounds like Ron to me.  But it wouldn't matter
much to me if Walt was on the list.  I thought he was a pain in the ass at
times but at other times I appreciated his input on old tractor topics.  I
don't know too many folks, myself included, that can't on occasion be
considered a pain in the ass.

A while ago this thread had touched on the subject of driving fast, and I
got to thinking about that yesterday afternoon.  I like to drive fast.  I
was on my way home from brief but very enjoyable visits at the Greenville
shows (Farm Power gas tractor show in town, and the Darke County Steam
Threshers north of town), and was driving along Ohio route 49.  Nice flat
two-lane country highway, beautiful clear weather, plenty of long stretches
to safely pass slower vehicles, and I took advantage of them often.  I just
like driving 62 mph more than 52.  On a bigger road like an interstate
highway, I like driving 72 more than 62.  It's not about the two minutes I
might save... it's about the feeling of cruising along at a comfortable
speed, and for me that speed tends to be a little higher.  I don't mind
paying for a little extra gas to buy that extra speed.

I was stationed in Germany in the late 80s and tried some truly high-speed
driving on the autobahn, but learned that I don't like going *really* fast.
80 mph is stressful for me in a way that 70 isn't, even on a well-maintained
high-speed road like the autobahn and in a car built for those speeds.  90
and 100 and up was exciting for a while but I got tired of having my jaw and
knuckles be all tense, so I stopped going that fast.  But on a clear Ohio
afternoon on a good two-lane road, I still want to be at 62 rather than 52.

The drivers that tighten my jaw now are the ones who seem unaware of other
vehicles or disrespectful of other drivers.  Guys who get three feet from my
rear bumper because they want to be going 72 rather than 62 and apparently
want to push me out of the way rather than wait for a safe opportunity to
pass.  Or who pull out in front of me from a side road as if they had the
right of way or couldn't be bothered to look and wait for oncoming traffic.

Anyway.  Another nice day today, and I'm looking forward to some more good
tractor shows this summer.  See you on the showgrounds.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net