[AT] Varmints and farming

Rick Weaver Rick_Weaver at hilton.com
Tue Jul 24 12:05:47 PDT 2007

I'm all for live and let live.  I even mourned when I hit a 3 foot grass
snake with my string trimmer trying to clean up around some of my trees.
Didn't hurt him too bad I don't think.  Felt so bad, I picked the little
fellow up and set him in a safe spot in the woods.  Went back later and
he was gone, so I hope he went somewhere to heal.

But the beavers keep invading from the adjoining lake and have take out
at least a dozen of my shoreline trees.  If they don't gnaw them down,
they dig under them and eat the roots I think, and then they fall over.
Just stopped by the wildlife office to see what my options are.  I think
I'll be applying for a depredation permit to trap the buggers
year-round.  A friend of mine will be able to use the pelts.

Rick