[AT] mice & coons

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 23 22:17:34 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at suddenlink.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] mice & coons

>I knew a guy (who has since died) who owned vast amounts of timber lands.
> He had terrible problems with beaver dams flooding land and destroying
> timber.  He told me once that he paid a guy with a big track excavator a
> bunch of money to tear out a beaver dam.  By the end of the following
> weekend the beavers had the dam rebuilt.

Charlie, this is all too familiar to me. In the past few years beavers have
built dams on a small creek that crosses my land and it is now impossible to
get across with anything other than a 4 wd atv. Farm equipment has to go
about two and a half miles around by roads to get to the other half of the
field. I tried opening up the dam several times. A lot of work and it is all
for nothing as they will rebuild it while I am sleeping. Shooting or
trapping is about the only hope. Or else rent the land across the creek out
to a neighbour.
Like so many animals they were a novelty when they first came to the area
but eventually became a pest. Same as coons. Deer too if you get enough of
them attacking a haystack or ruining swaths in the field.
Coyotes have been here longer than humans and we mostly co-exist ok. I've
had to shoot the occasional one that developed a taste for my chickens.
They help keep the gopher population under control I hope.

Ralph in Sask.