[AT] Al Jones

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Jul 21 16:13:30 PDT 2007

Things are good here Travis except that my work is a little slow.  Everyone
is healthy including my mom who will be 89 Tuesday a week from now.  She
still has a clear mind and drives anywhere she wants to go so I'm very lucky
that way.

Clinton is a town I don't get to very often.  It seems as if the road just
doesn't run from New Bern to Clinton.  LOL.  Reminds me of the time I got
lost down that way.  Well I wasn't lost I just didn't know where I was.  I
went to Billy Fussels lime mine in Rose Hill (mid 70's) to haul with one of
our other trucks that was down there working.  When I got there Billy
stopped me at the scale after I loaded and told me that the haul had run out
and William had already gone back.  He  didn't want me to go back empty
handed so he told me to follow two Ford tri-axles that had already gone out
the gate and I could  get one load  for my trouble.  He assumed I had a CB
and could talk to them but I couldn't.

I took out chasing them but they didn't know I was trying to follow.
We left Rose Hill and went S/W through a series of back roads, turning and
twisting every which way for a couple or mabye 3 hours.  I'm somewhat
familiar with that area but I didn't recognize one thing as we went.  We
only went through one little town.  It was a beautiful old town laid out in
a square and I've never seen it before or since that I know of.  We finally
got to the farm.  The man at the farm motioned the two tri-axles into one
field to dump and me into another one.  I finished dumping and when i looked
around ALL of them were long gone.

I got back out of the field and decided not to even try and find my way back
the way we came but to stay on the last road that passed by the farm.  It
was a larger road and I seemed to be heading N/E.
After a couple of miles I passed a little country store.  I pulled over,
went inside and offered to buy a Coke for the two old gentlemen in the
store.  They declined so I got one and told them my problem.  I asked if
either of them knew  the best way to get to New Bern.  They looked at each
other and back at me and said "son I ain't never heard of that place."  Oh
#$% I thought.  So I followed with "how about Kinston?"   The old man said
"well now I've heard of Kinston but I don't know how to get there.  Alright,
what is the closest large town around here?  He said "that road you're on
will take you to Clinton.  So I struck out.  About 1 1/2 later I was in
Clinton and after I took my bearings I knew how to get home.  I actually
left from Vanceboro (between New Bern and Washington if you don't know)
early that morning.  I got back there late that afternoon after pulling one
load that paid about $100 and burning over 100 gals of fuel.

Over the last 30 years I've spent a good bit of time trying to figure out
where I was.  I've even been back down that way.  I've looked at map books
and lately on Google Earth.  I still haven't figured it out.  None of the
roads I was on even had road signs until I got back to Clinton.

Hope my rambling and remembering hasn't bored you to death.

Take care,

Charlie