[Farmall] Finding the Original IHC Tractor Gray

farmallgray at aol.com farmallgray at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 19:02:48 PDT 2007

Yeah,

Nothing is exempt from the ravages of time. And even with today's technology, they have trouble getting paint to match. Paint companies have to come up with "alternate formulas" since so many cars
will varry from the original formula. From the photos I've seen at the archives, the way they mixed paint back then was about as precise as mixing concrete. With as?many changes were made to the mechanicals of the tractors, it is safe to assume that a similar percentage of changes were made in how paint was mixed and applied. They were always looking for ways to make the tractors cheaper, quicker, and easier to build.?

There are soooo many factors that can affect the color of paint.?Bob Currie has a W-12 that is as about as close to an "NOS" tractor as you can get. I sent him some paint samples to compare to the tractor to try to get close. But there is no way of knowing how much the paint on that tractor may have changed in 60 years. I think about as close as we can get at this point is "dark gray with a hint of blue". The only way you could truly duplicate the paint color would be if you had the exact?recipe, and used all the exact same materials in the same quantities as IH used.?And That is assuming they didn't change the recipe-which they did.
They most likely changed from varnish enamel to synthetic enamel before the?change from gray to red.
It is also assuming that all the materials are still available.

Todd Markle