[AT] OT: Gas story

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 3 08:42:34 PDT 2007

Kind of an interesting observation about miles per hour and miles per
gallon.  Our current family vehicle is a Honda Element, high tech 2.4 liter
4 cylinder and a four speed automatic.  Slow cruising will get 25-26 mpg.
Last year we took it to Erie, PA, traveled I-90, pulling one of those
lightweight 4x8 utility trailers.  Running empty and trying to make time I
was driving 65-70, mostly with the cruise control set.  Coming back there
were two snowplows on the trailer dismantled and partly crated, a package
that caught a lot of air, so it was fairly "draggy".  Due to the load on the
trailer I ran just over 60 coming home, again, on cruise for the most part.

The Honda has the aerodynamics of a brick, no way around that.   Air
resistance increases with the square of velocity, drag at 60 is four times
what it would be at 30, in an ideal world.  Coming home at roughly 10 mph
slower but pulling an additional 1200 lbs and some increase in air drag we
got slightly better mileage.  Not a lot, maybe 1/2 mpg.

Years ago I hauled a TEO Ferguson out to Indiana for Spencer.  Had it on a
12' trailer behind my sons 97 K2500.  Again, I don't remember the exact
numbers but coming back I got only .1 mpg better than going out.  Ran about
the same speeds too.  The trailer has a 3' high mesh tailgate and at speed
it acts like a solid sheet being dragged through the air.  Apparently the
tractor smoothed the airflow enough to almost offset the effort needed to
pull and extra 2500-3000 lbs.

Lots of funky factors involved with the fuel consumption business.