[AT] OT: Gas story

Dave Merchant nesys_com at ameritech.net
Tue Jul 3 09:03:38 PDT 2007

At 11:06 AM 7/3/2007, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 03 July 2007 07:52:56 am Francis Robinson wrote:
>In any case, touching the brakes is the worst thing you can do - you are
>turning all your energy into heat.

In fact, that's one of the main reasons for hybrids.
They are designed to level out the load when you drive like an idiot,
and recapture at least some of the wasted braking energy.

However - I went looking on Google, found several sites about complaints
that hybrids aren't delivering on the mileage claims, by a large margin.

Found a mileage chart showing that some hybrids are only getting close
to the same mpg I've observed with my old V6 Dodge Caravan.

BTW, some of the goofy accelerator action you're seeing going by on
your road is probably not the driver but the cruise control.
Many cruise boxes aren't very smart, and overreact as you describe.

I use cruise control, but mostly just to keep my speed down to where I
don't get busted...

Dave Merchant