[Farmall] fuel tank sealer

farmallcub at aol.com farmallcub at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 05:05:59 PDT 2007

Thanks!

?David D. Davis

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>
Sent: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:11 am
Subject: Re: [Farmall] fuel tank sealer

Probably the best sealer kits come from Eastwood
<http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=382&itemType=PRODUCT> and
from the POR folks <http://www.stoprust.net/home.php?cat=8>

These are complete cleaning kits with etchant, etc.

With a large tank like the Farmall H, etc. you really need to remove the
tank and clean it thoroughly before sealing, otherwise you won't get
good adhesion of the sealer (and the loose hunks of sealer will most
certainly end up plugging the lines).

What I have done is put a couple of 2' lengths of heavy chain inside,
add about a gallon of soapy water, seal the openings, strap the tank to
the raised wheel of another tractor and let the whole mess turn slowly
for about an hour. (See
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_140/140_tank_clean1.html>
for an image.) The reason I use chain instead of a bunch of old nuts and
bolts or stones is that it is much easier for me to get them out after
you are done. After you drain and dry the tank completely, then you
follow the directions on the product for etching the metal and coating
with sealer. Doing it this way will result in a very long lasting job.
There are probably other ways of agitating the tank and soapy water, but
I work alone, and the tractor wheel method is all I have available.

There is another produce called "Kreme", but I understand that it does
poorly in the presence of modern gasoline formulations and/or gasoline
with ethanol in it. I don't know that for a fact.

Other places to obtain similar products are local motorcycle shops, J.C.
Whitney, and probably Valu-Bilt. I have only used the stuff from
Eastwood, so I cannot comment on any of the others.

Mike