[Farmall] Any advice on THIS problem (Off Topic...sorry)

Paul Sigmund pwsigmund at verizon.net
Wed Jan 17 18:18:08 PST 2007

Human nature has changed little from the beginning of recorded history.  You
know that.  Any casual student of world history can support that
observation. The peers of youth often shape much more of many lives than is
realized.  Whether some psychoneurological malady may be affecting your
young friend or not, what he needs far beyond all else is acceptance,
appreciation, love.  It is only the "frontier cultures" of America,
Australia, South Africa that sociologically emulate and reward the athletes,
the self actualized successful, the modern pioneers .  In the East, in
Europe the scholars, the engineers, the teachers, are accorded much more
social recognition and remuneration than here.  Even with his "strangeness"
he likely would receive greater respect anywhere than from our culture.
He's facing intense aloneness.  He desparately needs to know and experience
that there are alternatives to what he sees at school, in his own small
world.   You're doing much more than you probably even realize for him.
Keep doing as much as you can for him in the "now" . . as he has turned to
you, you've been given a true gift.  And a life changing responsibility.
Apparently noone else in his world can give him that. But he's found
someone.  How many of us are put into a situation where we can truly make
the kind of difference in another's life that will shape, perhaps control
the future of this kid.  This is more than raising one's own "normal"
children.  A support group would be ideal, so he can see he is not unique,
not alone, not a freak.  He needs to understand, be understood, and
accepted, now matter how small the group of peers.   All that has to be
there, regardless of the diagnosis.   But right now all he may have is you.
Don't underestimate the what you can do for him . . . and in doing so, him
for you.