[AT] Back on farm equipment! I need help finding... formy farmingoperation

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Jan 30 20:34:46 PST 2007

I grew up playing on horse-drawn farm equipment that was parked in the lane
leading to the pasture when we visited on my grandfather's dairy farm in
Colorado  during the summers .  There were all sorts of corn and beet
equipment setting out in the weather.  Those old sugar beet diggers were
pretty simple.  Basically, all they did was lift the beets out of the ground
for manual pickup in a second pass.  The more modern one I know of is a
mechanized piece of equipment that digs a swath about 2 feet wide and
conveys the beets along while shaking them and then shuffles the cleaned
beets off to the side and into a wagon.  As I remember it (I haven't seen it
for about three years) it's about six feet wide and 20 feet long with a
conveyor off to one side for loading into the trailer/wagon.  It's powered,
but I can't remember if it runs off a PTO or has its own engine.  I know it
is not self-propelled.

Larry