[AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 29 19:16:53 PST 2007

charlie hill wrote:
> Al,  I don't know how hot manifolds get in degrees F and I'm not trying
> to defend Walt ....... errrrr John but I've seen manifolds on a 454
> truck engine glowing red from one end to the other and down the exhaust
> pipes and the engine was at normal operating temperature.  I can't tell
> you if brazing will hold up to that or not.

I occasionally saw glowing red exhaust manifold on the Massey swather
(Chrysler slant six) when I shut it down late in the evening. Never
seemed to hurt anything. This manifold was well cracked in the centre
and I never dared try doing anything to weld it. Had a bad experience
trying to weld a cracked six cylinder IH truck manifold and only made it
worse.

Ralph in Sask.