[AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Mon Jan 29 16:29:31 PST 2007

Al,

Walt should study more before he offers advice, we know he hasn't brazed a
manifold.  Visible red shows up just a little over 900 F.  An engine with
aluminum pistons would melt down long before the manifold got to 2000 even
with the cooling effect of the incoming charge.

Copper/zinc (brass) melts at different points depending on the alloy.  The
range is from 1300 F to nearly 2000 F. The cast iron itself would melt at
around 2300 F.

Brazing manifolds isn't for the faint of heart... differential cooling
causes a lot of cracking... It's very difficult to do.  Ask me how I know.

George Willer