[AT] My JD 2010

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Jan 25 11:41:18 PST 2007

If I understand correctly, this tractor has not been run much and the
amount of fuel in the oil is not great; so I'm going in a slightly
different direction. My guess is that this tractor has, since the overall,
not been run for any length of time in a stretch, and has never been
brought up to true operating temperature for any length of time. My guess
is that you just have raw unburned fuel in the oil which has washed past
the rings. I have seen my own tractors and one time some new tractors at a
John Deere dealer ( they were running 1/3 speed under no load on a cold day
during an open house at the dealers). In both cases raw fuel was running
down the muffler, out of the manifold openings, and down the side of the
engine. I have to believe some of this fuel was also washing past the rings
into the oil. The solution, as has already been suggested, run it hard and
run it long.  P.S. I have always, be it a tractor or lawn mower, let the
engine run at about one third throttle for two or three minutes to cool
down after a heavy load before shutting it down.
Greg Hass