[AJD] Model L steering box

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 06:14:41 PST 2007

No identification at all is stamped into the bearing:
no number, no manufacturer.  Each steering box used
two of the bearings. The inner edge of the bearing
rolls on a machined surface at the top and the bottom
edges of the steering shaft worm gear. The outer edge
rolls on outer races. Very simple.

I did find a similar bearing at a bicycle shop last
year and bought a couple at  $2 each. I thought I'd
found the Holy Grail!!  But they were just different
enough that when l I installed two of them it popped
the balls  right out of the retaining cage of one
bearing on reassembly.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com